Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Birthday, America!!

What a special birthday today is.  I feel so fortunate to live in the great USA.  I grew up in Texas and you are taught patriotism from day one.  Thank you to all my teachers for instilling in me the love of my country.  I am not sure the next generation will have that deep felt patriotism.
Enough on that.  No quilting on today's blog.  Just a little country life.
July 4th is grilling day.  I have a Boston butt on the grill.  Any time the grill is going, Bruta is on guard.  Don't you just love that sad look!  Now, yes, he is spoiled rotten.  Every time I grill, he always gets a grilled cheese sandwich and whatever is left of mine.  It is not a treat.  It is a given.
Is there anything that smells better than barbeque?  Well, yes, I can think of a few:  fresh coffee, vanilla.  I'm sure there are others.
I'd be remiss if I didn't include the other member of our family, Li'l Bit (although I now call her Fat Bit).  She is 6 years old and to think the vet wanted to put her to sleep when I got her because she was feline leukemia positive.  I just couldn't put her to sleep and here she is 6 years later.
We do have "people" members of our family, daughter and son-in-law, Stacey & Jack, and one grandson, Zachary.  But they are in St. Louis for the holiday. 
A picture of my flowers in bloom:
And our vegetable garden.
I am so ready for ripe tomatoes but not yet ready.  We have had squash, zuchini, cucumbers and green beans.  Have watermelons and cantalope -- tiny ones right now.  And lots of green tomatoes.  
There is no quilting for me today.  I am taking a class from quiltwhisper.com by the Pixeladies on Photoshop Elements 9.  I am behind on the class and plan to catch up today.
HAVE A HAPPY & SAFE 4TH OF JULY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment